Take 5 with … Lauren Jenkinson
Updated: Nov 12, 2018
Fact: there are few people that live in Sydney's Hills District who cannot recommend a banging food destination that will rock your world.
Time to get to know this bloody legend.
If she looks familiar, you may just know her from the Glenorie Bakery
Who's that Hills District Foodie?
Originally from Manchester, UK I moved to Sydney 18 months ago for work after living in Melbourne for the first 18 month I was in Aus. I thought it was gonna be hard to beat the Melbourne café and coffee scene, but I’ve found so many great places to go to!
I got to know the Hills District well as a foodie by exploring the cafes, restaurants and bars and I also love to bush walk. Galston Gorge is one of my favourite places to chill out and explore, when I need a break from the world I head to the top of the gorge to either read or scrap book. It's also great for photography!
1. Where is your favourite place to eat in the Hills District?
How do I choose just one!? I don’t know if I can, S.A.L.T in the Round Corner shopping Village (across from Aldi and Bakers Delight) is awesome. They use beans from local roasters Black Drum (they’re awesome people) and their coffee is amazing. I also LOVE the Baron in Castle Hill for dinner. Its affordable fine dining, great atmosphere and their staff are passionate.
2. What is your beverage of choice?
Again how do I choose just one! Ha, I’m a sucker for a dark ale/stout (that’s the pommie in me). Australian craft breweries are doing some amazing stouts - the ones aged in whiskey barrels are dangerously good and I love the coffee and dark chocolate notes. I also enjoy a classic Negroni. I think that’s a hospitality thing too, I don’t know any hospo veterans that don’t love a Negroni.
3. If you could have dinner with any 5 people (alive or dead), who would they be?
1. Grant Achatz- A lot of people who watched the first series of Chefs Table will know exactly who I’m talking about. Grant Achatz owns the world renowned restaurant Alinea in Chicargo. Not only is he an incredible chef and his restaurant was once voted best in the world he also survived a very aggressive cancer in his mouth, he lost his sense of taste temporarily and in his 30’s learnt to taste food again and appreciate the other senses more. He is an idol of mine!
2. Marco Pierre White- The OG Rockstar chef. He’s a northerner like me and not only has a wealth of knowledge about food and the industry but is also the kind of person who is straight up and honest which I admire in anyone.
3. and 4. My Nana & Granddad- My Nana died in 2012, three years after my Granddad and I see that event as a huge turning point for me. I’d love to have them round for dinner to show them where I am now and how much their presence in my life has influenced me and that I love and miss them very much.
5. Malala Yousafzai- When the Taliban shot her she also shot into our news headlines all over the world but before that she was making her mark in Pakistan speaking up for women's rights, the right for girls to receive an education and basic human rights for Palestinians. She’s an inspirational woman and she was only a child when the Taliban deemed her too powerful to stay alive. An amazing story of strength and survival.
4. If money, destination and logistics were no object, what would be your best night out experience?
I’d love to go to Eleven Madison Park in NYC, or Alinea in Chicago. However, living on the other side of the world to my family has given me a bigger appreciation for time spent with them. The ultimate night out experience would be a night with my whole family, maybe a few friends, music in the back ground. If money was no object maybe they could all come to Sydney to see me! First class of course haha!
5. What music always puts you in the party mood?
I like a bit of everything from acoustic to metal and classical to dance. I usually shuffle through a playlist of random songs. I have a soft spot for country music, at the moment I have Maren Morris on repeat and I love The Eagles and Carrie Underwood.
We want to hear from you!
Message us on Facebook or Insta or drop us an email with your answers to these same 5 questions as well as a little bit about yourself (what suburb you live in, who you live with, what you do, what you like, whatever).